Special Collections Research Center
Guide to the Hyde Park Historical Society Collection
The Hyde Park Historical Society Collection contains 20 linear feet of material and covers the period 1860 to 1987. The collection has been divided into twelve series and contains material on both the Hyde Park and Kenwood areas of Chicago. The collection includes correspondence, maps, photographs, books, reports, brochures, ephemera, scrapbooks, notebooks, yearbooks,oral histories, manuscripts, audio tapes, memorabilia, and newspaper clippings.
The Society s Archives are maintained in the Special Collections Research Center of The University of Chicago's Regenstein Library,
1100 East 57th Street, Chicago, Il 60637. Begun in the early 1980s, our collection has grown considerably over the years and contains thousands of items. There are now some 120 boxes of rare books, documents, brochures, institutional histories, photographs and ephemera related to the communities of Hyde Park, Kenwood and Woodlawn. The archives are open to the public but persons who do not have Regenstein Library admittance cards must obtain a pass from the public service office located at the main entry to the library. Users are required to abide by all of the regulations of the library. A finding list exists but is in process of being greatly expanded. It may be found in the Special Collections reading room or on-line at www.lib.uchicago.edu.
Links to Hyde Park Historical Society Collection:
Hyde Park Historical Society Collection
Hyde Park Kenwood Razed Buildings
Hyde Park Historical Society: Coop Records
The Library of the Hyde Park Historical Society is located at its headquarters at 5529 S. Lake Park Avenue and is open to the public for reference purposes only during the hours of 2 pm to 4 pm on most weekends of the year except for holidays. Over 300 books related to some aspect of greater Hyde Park or Chicago history may be found there.
Donation Guidelines of the Hyde Park Historical Society
The Hyde Park Historical Society field of interest includes all parts of the original Township of Hyde Park now in the City of Chicago, which is bounded by 39th Street, State Street, 138th Street, Lake Michigan and the Illinois-Indiana State Line.
The history of Hyde Park dates from the 1853 to the present.
In general, the Hyde Park Historical Society collects books, documents, reports, manuscripts, maps, photos, posters, postcards, brochures, advertising materials, local organization records, and oral histories relating to living and working in Hyde Park, Hyde Park local governance, the built environment, and individuals of note associated with Hyde Park.
The Hyde Park Historical Society can accept large or small donations of materials pertaining to the life and work of an individual or organization associated with Hyde Park. To a limited degree the Society can receive artifacts such as furniture and artwork. Prior to the donation of a materials, the archivist will work closely with donors to determine what materials best fit within the Society's collection.
Materials that are often of historic value are listed below. Please note that this list is not definitive. Other types of documents or items not included here may have historical value as well.
For sizeable donations, the potential donor will notify the Society of the intent to make a donation. The Archivist will meet with the potential donor and go over the Society's procedures and policies for accepting materials into the collection, including the execution of a deed of gift to the society. For smaller donations, or donations of single items, the Archivist will issue a receipt to the donor. The Archivist is responsible for insuring that all Society procedures and policies are followed in the acceptance of any materials into the collection.
Chicago, IL 60637