Point is an historic landscape and the focal point of Chicago's
Burnham Park at the Eastern boundary of Hyde Park.
was created by landfill in the 1920's and landscaped in 1937
by Alfred Caldwell in the Prairie school tradition. Caldwell
began by adding soil to the Promontory, raising the meadow to
its present height and creating a hill where a shelter would
be built. By summer of 1936 water and sewer pipes had been laid
and the underpass below Leif Ericson Drive (Lake Shore Drive)
of the fieldhouse was started in 1936 and was finished the following
year. The walls of the building were made of a stone called Lannon
which was quarried in Wisconsin.
"The Point" was opened to the public in 1937 after
Caldwell felt that the plantings
were complete and perfect.
Today "The Point" gets plenty of use from cyclists,
joggers, picnickers and swimmers.
The Chicago park district and the public realize the place of
Promontory Point in Chicago's past and are working together to
restore it for future generations.